A Geophysicist is a professional that conducts a non-invasive investigation of subsurface conditions in the earth through measuring, analyzing, and interpreting physical fields at the surface.
Geophysics is concerned with the physical and geological characterization of the surface and subsurface earth crust, using traditional and technological techniques to analyze the properties obtained therein.
Types of Geophysics
We have two types of Geophysics
- Environmental geophysics
- Engineering geophysics.
Environmental geophysics deals with the societal and historic character of the environment.
Engineering Geophysics focuses on the use of technological techniques to analyze the characteristics of the Earth.
This process may involve the use of seismic refraction or reflection, magnetics, etc. in the investigative process of mining and crude oil exploration.
Duties of Geophysicist
- Geophysicist analyzes and interprets physical fields.
- Through the various technological process, geophysicist helps in the exploration of hydrocarbon, minerals, metals, and a whole lot of valuable materials beneath the surface of the earth.
- Geophysicist helps to address the problem of an earth tremor, earthquakes, tsunamic, and many geo-hazards.
- They mark out the area of the field under investigation and give ideas, information about what the under surface looks like.
- They synthesize data.
- Geophysicist develops a plan and present interpretation that can be easily understood by non-geophysicist.
- They provide models that depict what is obtainable in the sub-surface part of the earth’s crust.
- Provides services to clients and employers with a high sense of integrity,
- They apply geological knowledge in evaluating environmental problems
- Guides people about the consequences of various geological exploration and how best they can prevent future environmental hazards.
- The promote the application of geophysical techniques in exploration and mining processes.
- They provide a good communication link among investigators, practitioners, and the public.
- They provide an economic assessment to projects by making sure the benefits expected from a survey are more than the calculated cost of conducting such a survey.
Skills Required of a Geophysicist
As a Geophysicist, you would need to possess the following vital abilities or skills. These abilities include;
- Data Analysis skill
- Ability to interpret data efficiently
- Project management skill
- Computational ability
- Technological skills in seismic reflection, electromagnetic and ground-penetrating radar (GPR)
- Numerical skill
- Team working skill
Where can Geophysicists work?
- Environmental agency
- Gas/ petroleum exploration company
- Mining companies
- Geological survey
- Universities and research institutes
- Government agencies
Challenges Encountered by Geophysicist
- Exploration and contaminant mapping
- Utility mapping
- Civil engineering/ non-destructive testing
Geophysicist Salary Structure
The salary of a Geophysicist depends on factors like certification, skills, and experience,
On average, Geophysicists in the United States earns $75, 368. The range of Geophysicist’s salary is usually between $69, 268 and $90, 344